Thursday, March 6, 2008

Casting your cares on HIM for HE cares for you!


I've been involved in some financial stress lately.  Not to the point where I would have to make any drastic moves but enough that there has been pressure to do some better planning and to use what I do have more wisely.  I've been talking with several people who are in the same boat.  In a ministry I'm involved in there has been some struggles in time management for some of the students.  This has manifested itself as stress and tiredness that should be beyond their years.  I heard a message today that has really encouraged my heart in this matter and really wanted to share it with my "mass" blog readers.  I appreciate both of you for taking your time to stroke my ego. 
The passage of scripture that John Piper was sharing from is 1 Peter 5 and i"ll be sharing specifically his finding from verse 7.  The word casting in this verse is the greek word  "epiriptō" which means to "throw upon."  It is interesting that the only other time this word is used in the bible is Luke 19:35 when the disciples get a donkey for Jesus and they "epiriptō" their garments on the donkey.  He goes on to say what a scary, yet interesting point this could be.  That Peter tells us to cast our cares on Jesus just like the disciples made the donkey carry their coats.  This passage in 1 Peter tells us that we humble ourselfs and cast our cares on HIM for he cares for us.  Just like that donkey would bear their load for them, God will bear our load for us.  It reminds me of what Jesus said in Matthew 11, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." What a great promise and what a great truth to know!  That he carries our burdens with us.  When we are overloaded with stuff to the point of anxiety and feel like its too much, like financial situations or being overwhelmed with school, relationships and everything else we can throw on that pile, He is there to help you with those burdens.  I am so happy to be a child of his.  That I can go to him in tough times and he will help me carry my load.  Hopefully you can find "rest" in that.  

Check out what Piper says himself at http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=22808514360

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately the financial stress NEVER goes away! But there is comfort in the Lord. Knowing that he is there and wants to take care of you is awesome.
    I wake up every morning and read a gift that was given to me. It says, 'Good morning, this is God...I will be handling all your problems today. I will not require your help' This is SO TRUE but to actually lay down and LET him take care of everything is where most of us find it hard to lay still.
    Now, if it comes down to drastic times I've got an extra bed!

    ReplyDelete